Tuesday, February 24, 2009

More Madness

When does it ever end with me? I SERIOUSLY have a major issue with stairs. You won't believe what happened to me today - well if you know me, you'll totally believe it, but I wish I could trade myself in sometimes! So...
Today at 4:58 I was rushing around (desk to printer to desk to printer) to finish off payroll, and also get a very important check printed off and sent out in FedEx so I was definitely in a rush (what do ya know?) and I headed to the stairs...those daunting stairs...they have my number.
I still don't know what happened but suddenly I was head over heels (literally heels - 3 inch heel black boots) tumbling down the stairs! It must have been very loud because when I looked up 7 co-workers were standing over the top of the stairs laughing hysterically and my boss had heard it all the way in her office and made it over to see me as well. Here is what I remember looking like at that moment: Check in hand, FedEx envelope on second step down, Right hand hanging on for dear life from the hand rail, right leg pointed down the stairs starting at about the fifth step down, left leg straight up in the air, hair covering half of my face (some in my mouth) and I had landed half way off of the third step down...just dangling there. I can only imagine the look on my face. How embarassing. I blamed it on my heel because it had broken, however, I'm pretty sure that the broken heel was a result of my accident, not the reason. (Broken heel not broken too badly, still wearable, but now I can't wear them because I blamed it all on my broken heel!)
Suddenly everyone realized that they were laughing at me and forgot to see if I was ok; of course at the time I was ok, just very hurt pride...but hey laugh it up. I hid my face for awhile and took my shoes off. I still had to meet the FedEx guy! So I headed down to the CFO to have him sign the check and he wondered about my missing shoes. I really wanted to play it off, but Val was heading by his office and casually mentioned that maybe the company should consider a little more liability insurance for me. He continued with the glorious story of me falling down the stairs and the CFO got a very amused look on his face and said, "All the way down?" They'll probably decide to let me go naming me as a work comp risk.
As of tonight, I feel a slight strain in my neck, a sore wrist and a slightly pulled groin...worst part of it all...remember how I bruised and scraped both of my shins the other day...well they of course got in the way again. OUCH!
So after telling my husband this story...guess what he said? Something about "slowing down."
You know, that is probably the 5th time I have tripped and made some noise on those stupid stairs...but just a fraction of my stair incidents in my lifetime. Dad, Mom and Rod - remember the stairs in our house at 190 Batavia Lane? I was always tripping up and down those stairs...I even remember stumbling down the stairs when we had a storage customer in the office and hearing him say something, "whoa, is she alright?" My mom probably just waved it off.
Anyway, here is the real bummer in it all - remember how I decided to take on a new persona when I started working at this job...as the quiet shy girl - yep, pretty much have blown that cover now. After tripping up and down the stairs, and all of my other Brenda moments, I'm no longer the sweet quiet girl. Darn. Oh well, I have more fun this way.
Don't you wish you were me?

7 comments:

Dale or Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Brenda don't worry I also get the sudden urge to dive head first down a flight of stairs just to see what it feels like. ;-]

Anonymous said...

i love that you can laugh things like this off ;) ive discovered its better that way too! makes life more...interesting ;)

Kristi Figarelle-Lucero said...

Hey guys! How is everything in Missoula? Sounds pretty crazy! You guys need a vactioN. I had a day just like that the other day. Woke up 20 min before work, had GF Tribune taking pix of our office that day, broke my new $50 vase(never used) :( ..Must run in the family...
Keep in touch. Paige is adorable by the way

Anonymous said...

Problem solved! http://www.buyastairlift.com/stair_lifts/citia_select.html

Benjamin Ranch said...

Brenda, we just don't want to hear you've ended up in the hospital sometime....now take it easy. We do want you to keep your ability to keep everyone laughing...we love that about you, but wow, the gall, everyone standing there laughing before finding out if you're O.K.!!

Anonymous said...

Brenda as the quiet little shy girl, I don't see that happening for very long. Thanks for a good laugh Brenda. I hope your shins are OK. OUCH! I imagine the people in your office love you because you keep things from being too boring.

Love,

Aunt Betty