Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cats on Broadway

I just need to share this with everyone because it is something I experience everyday...so if you want to know about the details of my life - here is one of them. Everyday I have to sit at a stop light on my way to work and stare straight ahead at a little building on the corner of the street with a yellow awning that says "Cats on Broadway" and there are pictures of cats dancing on the awning. Now...most of you probably are well aware of my dislike for animals, especially cats and dogs - but I am pretty sure that I have some psychotic phobia of cats. Everyday I have to sit there and try to avoid looking at that building but it is impossible to miss it...and it makes me completely nauseous every time! Why I do not know, but it just does. I sit there at the light and try to think about other things but I have visions of sneaky stray cats, dancing cats, and cats eating mice and looking around with darting yellow eyes. ugh. I'm getting nauseous writing about this, but maybe it will be theraputic. Probably not. This is not a new thing for me. When we lived in the trailer court in Kalispell, there was a stray cat who made himself at home in our yard...and I will never know why because I always pretended like I was going to run him over with my car and I would hiss at him and he would just crouch down like he was guarding his prize...which he WAS - guarding his prize mouse. Good thing - catches mice. Bad thing - leftover mouse in the yard and the whole fact that the cat eats the mouse is equally nasty. It goes back even further...to when we had cats at home and one of our cats had some external ear tumor and big huge lumps of fur that just matted up and then fell off in random places and then would blow around the yard like a tumbleweed. yuck.
And then there were the cats that would sneak into the garage and stay there for the night; one night my mom grabbed one to put him out but he got the best of her. Now, does that make you want to pet the cat? no!
Then there was the crazy cat lady, Pat who was always on the prowl through the neighborhood searching for her lost cats and of course the combination of crazy cat lady and stray cats gives me the heevies.
I do not understand at all how people can pet a cat and then let it roll over onto its back to have it's belly scratched....aahhhhh! hurl. A lady I worked with at GBCI used to talk about her cat all the time and how she would let him curl up in bed with her next to her on the pillow and how he always had horrible breath! Hmmm...and you still want to cuddle with him? Barf.
Anyway after making it through the daunting wait at the stop light of Russell and Broadway and I get to work only to see every day that my desk neighbor has a new calendar with pictures of cats! Not cute little kitten pictures (hard to find) but of cats doing things like taking a bath...which we all know how NOT cute those pictures are!
With all my hatred and dislike of cats...do not worry those of you who have your pet cat - I will not hurt the cat, I just won't pet the cat and they will sense that I don't like them so they will pester me and I still won't hurt them. One time Jesse said to me, "Brenda, when we go to their (Lance & Tanja's) house you would never, like, hurt their cats would you?" Give me some credit. I am too nauseous to do anything.
Still like cats?

14 comments:

Heather said...

i share your dislike of cats but not as strong. They are just kinda icky. And yes i am pregnant, but very very sick and i have been since the first part of january, so not really enjoying it. LOVE AZ though!

Ellen said...

I love you - and completely share your dislike of cats . . . I have to admit, we have one. BUT - it was given to us, it stays outside, it leaves me alone and it catches mice . . . so, I'll put up with it for now.

Janette said...

I most certainly share your sentiments about cats. My funniest cat story happened one day when I was babysitting Trenton at his house. On the day I was to go home, I was to drop Trenton with house key off at school and I would head home, Barnettes were going to watch him after school until his dad got home. I wasn't quite packed up when school time came so I decided I would send Trenton with the key anyway and since I couldn't lock the door from the outside without the key I would leave the house by going out the door to the garage, hitting the automatic garage door button and running to get out before the door got down. First problem, as I ran out, the automatic eye near the floor would detect me and make the door go back up, so I had to jump over it, ducking at the same time so the door didn't hit me. Second problem, the cat would run into the garage as soon as it opened. Only solution, run, jump and duck while clutching the cat, under my arm. It took me a few tries, but I did it. It would have made a hilarious video. What we'll do for the sake of the grandkids.!

Paige's Parents said...

Janette! I love your story...that is hilarious!!! I am proud of you for holding the cat I would have yelled at him as loud as I could to go away and then waited until he was not close enough to run into the garage....
if that didn't work I probably would have cried.

Carmen said...

This is for all of you. I once read a little saying somewhere that said, "A person who doesn't like a cat must of been a mouse in his/her past life."

I love kitties.

P.S. Janette it is easier to lock the front door and pull it closed behind you as you are leaving the house. :) (that was from Hugh)

Just kidding. Thanks for babysitting.

Anonymous said...

Ah Carmen I knew I'd hear something from you :)
I've also been told that I must be heartless because I don't like cats and dogs...so I guess I am a heartless mouse ghost.
- brenda

Anonymous said...

In truth Brenda. I know exactly how you feel just not about cats. I have the same phobia of Spiders. My stomach gets all queezy. I really can't even look at them in a book. And I hate that at Halloween every classmate feels the need to give my kids Spider rings, spider pops, spider straws...you get the picture. And then to top it off they have to add the stupid spider webby stuff too. The first thing I do when my kids aren't looking is throw them away.

Carmen said...

That last comment was me.

MaryAnn said...

Oh too funny, this is all so HILARIOUS!! I dislike cats myself and always have since I was a kid and our neighbor's simese (however you spell it) cat crawled up behind the drapes in their living room and jumped down on me when I was sitting on the couch minding my own business - ewwwww!!! I have a friend that overturned a Thanksgiving dinner table (right over on its side) when a cat jumped up in his lap... too funny!

Paige's Parents said...

So..Carmen, you are telling me that I am not totally crazy for getting nauseous and psychologically affected because of my dislike for cats? No therapy necessary then?

Paige's Parents said...

I have never tipped over a table...but I have banged my shins (what do you know?) on a table when a dog licked my toes once. stupid animals.

Carmen said...

Brenda, you are not totally crazy. People might thing you are :) You want crazy we won't even go into the time my cousin thought it would be funny to bring her pet tarantula to Thanksgiving. Oh and nice blood blister. I do believe that is the biggest one I have ever seen.

Anonymous said...

We'll have to compare co-worker cat stories. My unstable co-worker is goo goo ga ga about cats and has her screen saver scroll through a series of cat pictures and makes smooching noises to them and can't focus on anything. Needless to say not just the most productive person in the office either. Well, I don't mind cats but now I'll never drive by Cats on Broadway without thinking of you. Dicie

Benjamin Ranch said...

Wow, this post drew the comments! Me, I have no big cat stories, and I can take'm or leave'm. Cats don't seem to need us so much either...now dogs...that's another subject. I like my dog, really most all dogs, cuz they love you back so much. Ouch on the finger! Linda B.