Thursday, February 12, 2009

Lunchroom chat

Thursday is my favorite day at work because (1) tomorrow is Friday, and (2) it is the beginning of a new week of class (school) and I never have homework to work on during my lunchbreak! Although, I could get ahead of schedule, but what is the fun in that? I'd rather save it for the weekend. I should figure that one out. But I'd rather do some important blogwork instead!

Today for lunch I am having brown rice, mixed veggies and chicken all mixed together with a little dab of poppyseed dressing; very good and healthy. I love the bags of frozen mixed veggies you can get for like $1.89 - they are peas, corn and little chopped carrots; I have to wonder if the carrots are real carrots because they are tiny squares! Paige likes em' and the nutrition label says they're good for us.

OK - I have to ask other mommy and daddy's opinions about something controversial: Flouride for children. Our doctor prescribed Paige sodium flouride to take once a day to prevent tooth decay and promote healthy teeth and gums. Well first of all - the better ways to prevent tooth decay and to promote healthy teeth and gums is to (a) consume less sugar, (b) just brush!, (c) get enough calcium and (d) drink enough water. So...I can't help but think that flouride is unnecessary. Furthermore, we have found numerous scholarly articles, publications, and discussions about flouride and that it is POISON! Did you know that flouride has not been approved by the FDA but because it was on the market before the FDA was created (1913 or something) so it was grandfathered in. Why would the FDA and other sources warn parents to be sure to completely avoid water that might have flouride in it because it is harmful and poisonous for chidren, and yet they prescribe straight shots of flouride on a daily basis! Moms and Dads, do you give flouride to your children? Have you ever asked your doctor about it? At Paige's next appointment (for her 2 yr checkup) (wow, 2 years!) I am going be sure to address this concern. Until then...I am curious what other people know about this.

On a more exciting note, tomorrow is a fun Friday for Paige at daycare! She has really cute "Tinkerbell and Pixie-Friends" Valentines to give to her friends, and I get to decorate a shoebox for her to bring and put her valentines in that SHE gets from her friends...and it is wear red day...haven't decided which red stuff she is going to wear yet...I wish I could find a pair of tights like I remember having as a girl: White with little red hearts all over...remember those? - anyway - and it is PizzaParty day - which means she doesn't get to bring her cute CareBear lunchbox, but just $2 for Pizza, and that is fun and greasy - and then she also needs to bring her favorite ice cream topping for ice cream - which I don't know what that will be because we've never had ice cream toppings with ice cream...her favorite thing in the world is peanut butter, maybe I'll just send a couple spoonfuls along...haha...and on top of all of that it is also red snack day...she can bring a red snack to share with her friends...I think we'll get some strawberries from Costco. (Which would also work as a delicious ice cream topping). So yes, exciting day ahead of this little princess.

She actually has had an exciting week. Her G&G Braaten stopped in on Tuesday afternoon and picked her up from daycare and she got to play with them all afternoon and go shopping at the learning tree...and then we all had a nice dinner together at Jakers. G&G brought her a gigantic shopping bag full of the cutest clothes that they bought at Herberger's and they were all 95% off after clearance and coupons! They are 24 months which is something to grow into...so yet another exciting thing. Paige loves to get new clothes already. She was carrying one shirt around and swinging it and singing and then laying it on the ground and sitting down beside it and laying on it. Good times.

Anyway this is getting long enough. I'll post a picture of Paige in her red and all the things she gets to bring to daycare. One more thing about daycare, she gets to start graduating into the toddler room, they said she "does really good in circle time so she is ready for the move" - hwo cute, I would love to spy on circle time...from what I have seen, the bigger girls take very good care of her and she loves them. It reminds me of Kenna and Paige in Chicago. Oh , there is a girl at daycare who is milano, beautiful girl, probably about 4 years old; everyday she wears dress-up shoes - those plastic high heels and she clomps around in them just like we all did! (Don't deny it, you did it too.) It is so funny; she acts very grown up and is always dramatically friendly to Paige. I love this daycare. In fact, I love it so much that when I hear their advertisement on the radio I almost get teary-eyed. Seriously.

Ok I'm done. Thanks for stopping in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

im not a fan of the fluoride. i think its better to be safe and not to pat myself on the back but i have never ever had fluoride in my life and i have never ever had even one cavity in my life, so i think good genes(although both my parents have lots of cavities) are the key and also i try and not drink pop, we were never allowed to have it growing up at all and any dentist can tell you it is the worst worst thing for teeth. So you asked and now you got my wonderful wise opinion!

Ellen said...

I don't know about flouride either . . . I think it occurs naturally in some water - but I don't give it to my kids. (I guess they do get it at the dentist). But, Quiana has had 2 cavaties that I'm so embarrassed about and they're not fun to have filled at the age of 3. SO - I will agree 100% with your thoughts - Cut back on sugar and just brush. Now that Quiana has had cavaties, she loves to brush and floss - "to get those sugar bugs out."

AND . . . regarding your little Birthday Note to me the other day . . . I'm glad you love who I am . . . but anyone who reads any of your posts and knows you at all . . . has to love you for exactly who you are. Your post really made me smile today, You're such a FUN mommy!

And - I'm going to try the rice, chicken, veggies and Poppyseed dressing . . . sounds good. . . and healthy . . . any more healthy ideas? . . this over 30 business is taking a toll on my body!

Anonymous said...

No fluoride for this family either! Have read several articles articles about it and doesn't sound like good stuff. We try to brush 2x a day....not too good about flossing & I'm crossing my fingers Jack won't have any cavities...as much as he likes sugar, I wouldn't be surprised if he does :@

tjp said...

We don't do fluoride, either. Except it's in our city water, so it's harder for us to avoid it. Follow your mommy instict (and your research)! : )