Monday, May 9, 2011

Cake of the Year!

Now that I'm done with school and have soooo much time on my hands (HA!) I was so excited to make Paige's birthday cake for her bday party this past weekend. My brilliant plan unfolded and I bought the supplies more than a week in advance. I researched, daydreamed and visualized until I had the perfect cake and I really thought it was going to be...a piece of cake. (Ha, I love puns).

Come Wednesday and Thursday I began feeling oddly nauseous, just like I was pregnant. Yikes! I kicked it (the weird little bug) around and toughed it out W, Th and Friday and by Friday night I felt pretty icky. (But never got head-in-the-toilet-bowl-sick, just lay-around-sick). I felt sick enough that I decided I probably shouldn't make the food & cake for the bday party on Saturday though. My knight in shining armour, The-man-who-always-gets-to-say-Itoldyouso, My husband, said, "It's ok, we'll just pick one up in the morning." GASP!

After some pouting (that is, me pouting) he asked, What is with having to make some fancy cake? I always had a square cake with frosting and it was good enough. I'm sure you know how that question and answer session went over. Well, it DID end with him agreeing to make the cake and hopefully I would be better in the morning to put together my masterpiece. Yes, it would be a masterpiece, the cake of the year NO DOUBT!

Hmmm.....what shall I post first - My Inspiration or My Masterpiece?
I haven't decided yet and I've ran out of time for now...check back soon to see a cake that truly puts ALL others to shame.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny...I'm excited to see "the" cake. I was going to make an amazing picture-worthy cake for Mia, sticking with the rainbow theme. So I was crazy to think I could make a cake w/ 6 layers to get all the colors of the rainbow...every layer stuck to the pan, so I threw it all away and sent Wayne to Costco & put a pathetic rainbow on the front w/ skittles. Sooo disappointing & not sure why that's the one thing I really want for my kiddos bdays...a cool cake?!

Joellyn said...

I'm cracking up because this so sounds like me.

Ellen said...

I love how honest you are. Josh dreads our kids birthdays just because of the "cake" issues invloved. One of these years I really am going to buy a cake - but it just doesn't seem right to me. I am super jealous of the moms who do just go out and buy the cake. Can't wait to see pictures ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh Brenda this is so funny!! and paiges party was so beautiful! No one would have ever guessed that it was anything but a perfectly planned, in every detail, birthday party!!

As Steph would say "You crack me up!!!"
Gramma lin