Friday, October 31, 2008

Chicago

I was a dork and brought our camera but left our film-card at home when we went to Chicago...so we don't have very many pictures of Chicago :( But that's ok, we have enough to remind us of the trip; and of course, pictures rarely do justice anyways, at least when I am the photographer.
When we first arrived in Chicago our train was two hours late and we didn't really know where we were going; I knew that public transportation went everywhere so I figured we would get 12 miles north to our hotel somehow! :) We need to learn how to pack light - you should have seen my parents and us 3 going down 2 city blocks (which are much longer than Kalispell blocks) with all of our luggage. I think I heard the statement, "Brenda, next time you decide to run a marathon...." a few times from more than one person. We finally arrived at the metra station to take the city train up to Melrose Park where our Days Inn was. Ok, so when booking the rooms I thought...Days Inn...can't be bad - Melrose Park, sounds kinda pretty. WRONG! How was I to know, I was just trying to avoid paying hundreds for a room when the trip was already way out of our college budget!
Anyway - we finally got to our hotel and fell asleep before hitting our pillows. The next day was spent getting back downtown and finding our way to the Fitness Expo which was ok if you had money to spend on running clothes and other stuff. No free goodies like a real expo should be! We finally met up with Luke and Tammia, Kenna and Jarris downtown for lunch and some strolling around; Dan and Elaine enjoyed a leisure drive through Chicago traffic (that was dripping with sarcasm) and met up with us before we all went up the John Hancock Tower. We were EXTREMELY grateful for L&T who have navigated Chicago before. Obviously it was fun to spend time with everyone. Paige thoroughly enjoyed sharing Kenna's stroller and toys with her and walking her around.
I didn't get to shop...and we didn't get to do as much sightseeing and tourist stuff that Chicago has to offer - but that just means we have to go back someday...and NOT for another marathon... I have promised.
I'd like to go at Christmas I hear the city is gorgeous and one of the museums has a three story christmas tree!






No comments: